It's been a while since we wrote anything about the GSXR so thought that an update was in order. You can read about the modifications that have been made in the previous articles by clicking on the links at the bottom of the article.
Project GSXR has been used on and off for the last couple of years since the Renthal's and other parts were fitted. This year would be the real test though as it was due for its two yearly ITV (MOT).
Off to the local station, I went full of trepidation, for those of you that don't know, Spain has a very low tolerance for vehicle modifications. Paperwork is done and in the queue for the inspection, as usual one of the inspectors came over to have a look at the bike, this has happened every time I have been as the Suzuki looks as good today as the day I bought it back in 2000.
Into the building and the noise and emissions tests are complete (it failed a few years ago on emissions as I forgot to disconnect the Power Commander). The crash bungs are now given a good dose of looking at as they are Harris Performance ones and stick out quite a bit, no problem so far.
Now for the brake check where the inspector sits on the bike and does a roller test on the front and then the rear wheel. He has a good look at the bars then the top yoke before testing the brakes, he seemed impressed that the top yoke is a good quality item and not just a drilled standard yoke (thank you CNC). However, he isn't giving me any indication of pass or fail.
Lighting check next, no problem, just wheel it to the exit for the photograph. But then a light bulb goes on in the inspectors head and he rushes off returning with another inspector and a tape measure. Part of the homologation process in Spain is the dimensions of the vehicle and these are not allowed to change.
A measurement was taken and a bit of head scratching and discussion ensued, with the Renthals the Suzuki was now 2cm wider than standard. Good job I used smaller than stock end bar end weights otherwise it would be 6cm.
After what seemed like 10 minutes but was probably only one they decided that although it was 2cm wider than stock, that was only 1 per side and therefore allowable. A picture was taken and a certificate and sticker issued and off I went for another two years of happy biking.